About James Ball
YORKSHIRE’S EXPERT EYE SURGEON
Why should I choose James Ball and Custom Vision Clinics?
Mr James Ball graduated with his medical degree from Cambridge University in 1995 and was awarded the Fawcett Prize. After completing his ophthalmology training in Brighton, Oxford and Yorkshire, he moved to Australia to undertake specialist training in laser eye surgery at the prestigious Lions Eye Institute, WA. There, he worked on the development of new techniques in refractive surgery. On his return to the UK, Mr James Ball completed a second fellowship in corneal and refractive surgery at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London.
After his training, he was appointed as a consultant in Leeds, where he worked for one of Europe’s largest teaching hospitals. In 2014 Mr James Ball was appointed as an honorary consultant at the University Hospital of Geneva (HUG) to support the development of their refractive, cataract and corneal service.
In 2016 Mr James Ball was asked to assist in the development of a laser refractive surgery service in Harley Street.
Private Practice Expertise
Now, after providing ten years of full NHS corneal and refractive surgery services, Mr James Ball moved predominantly into private practice and began working on The Custom Vision Clinic. This clinic is the distillation of 20 years of ophthalmology experience and expertise.
Why did James Ball become an eye surgeon?
Professional accreditations and memberships
Key facts about James Ball
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. The Custom Vision Clinic does not offer a one-size-fits-all treatment. Instead, we select the most appropriate technique to fix your visual problem.
- Certified by the Royal College of Ophthalmologists to perform laser eye surgery
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Member of the Royal College Refractive surgery standards working group
- Council Member of the British Society of Refractive Surgeons
- Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Member of the UK Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of Leeds
- Reviewer for the journals JCRS, BJO and Eye
- St James’s Laser Vision, Leeds
- Nuffield Hospital, Leeds
- Optegra Yorkshire Eye Hospital, Bradford
I have published and presented on the subjects as follows:
- Cataract surgery
- Laser eye surgery
- Corneal diseases
I am currently leading research for treatment modalities for keratoconus and genetics of corneal dystrophies.
Outside of work, I enjoy spending time with my family, go golfing or skiing, or playing the cello.